Scholar Works for Parents



Financial Aid

- Loans allow a person to borrow money for college. Loans must be paid back with interest.

- Work-Study allows a student to earn money for their education.
- Grants are financial aid that does not need to be repaid unless a student withdrawals from school and owes a refund.

- There are several different grants available: Pell Grants and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs).
- In most cases one must be an undergraduate to receive a grant (has not earned a bachelor's or graduate degree).
- You can either be enrolled full time or part time.

Frequently asked financial aid questions:

1. If I were considered a dependant student at the time I apply, but my parents are divorced or separated, whose information would I report on the FAFSA?

- You report information about the parent you lived with for the greater amount of time during the 12 months proceeding the date of application. If you did not live with either parent, or if you lived with each parent an equal number of days, you would use information about the parent who provided the greater amount of financial support during the 12 months proceeding the date of application. If you did not receive any parental financial support during that time, you must report information that most recently provided the greater amount of parental support.

2. When it's time to apply, I'll be considered a dependant student, but I have no contact with my parents. What do I do about reporting their income?

- In usual cases, an aid administrator can determine that a student who does not meet the independent student criteria should never the less be treated as an independent student. The financial aid administrator can change your dependency status from dependant to independent based on adequate documentation of your special circumstances. You must provide this documentation. That decision is based on the aid administrator's judgment and is final - you cannot appeal that decision to us.

3. How do I apply?

- Complete the free Application for Federal Student Financial Aid (FAFSA).










© 2024 Scholar Works Enterprises of Georgia, Inc.